Revisiting Laurence Britt’s classic 2003 Free Inquiry Magazine article, read it today through the contemporary lens of contingency, public education and the politics of the 2016 election campaign.
If these ring any bells here in the early 21st century , it surely must be purely coincidence…or not!
1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism – Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia.
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights – Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of “need.”
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause – The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.
4. “Controlled” Mass Media – In many cases the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives.
5. Obsession with National Security – Fear is used as a…
View original post 198 more words